- you first need to add the new release's repository as follows:
- Window > Preferences > Install/Update > Available Software Sites
- Click 'Add'
- Enter the URL of the new repository (for example,http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna/ for Luna and Eclipse 4.4)
- Click 'Ok'
- Help > Check for Updates
- If updates are found, proceed through the install wizard and click Finish at the end
- If upgrading the platform itself, when you are prompted to restart it is strongly recommended to do so. A restart may not be required when updating other features, but always select to restart if you are unsure.
- Check your Available Software Sites for release-specific update sites that may need updating as well, e.g. The Eclipse Project Updates URL changes with each release (typically release-specific sites hold the SDK/Source features and off-cycle hot fixes and are not required)